Adults living in the Lower Mainland who are currently using substances or seeking recovery from addiction, that are facing barriers or challenges accessing individual counselling.
Community Counselling Fund
What This Grantee Is Doing for Community Counselling
The Turning Point Outreach and Community Counselling (TPOCC) program provides short term, no-cost counselling and supports to people who are currently using substances or seeking recovery from addiction, that are facing barriers or challenges accessing individual counselling. Their approach is person-centred, trauma and culturally sensitive and strengths-based.
Services provided by TPOCC include:
- One to one individual counselling sessions delivered by phone/video conferencing
- Individual safety planning and goal setting, including harm reduction
- Program utilizes short-term solution based approaches
- Helping clients to identify, reduce and manage difficult emotional situations
- Assistance in connecting clients to longer term supports and services, including inpatient and outpatient addiction treatment
- Orientation to safer using practices and accessing harm reduction supplies Orientation to 12-Step, SMART, and other recovery resources in the community
- COVID-19 safety information and counselling
"Because one of our Outreach Counsellors is working on site at the ERC, he is able to see clients daily to check in and monitor progress with recovery planning and other supports. By placing a counsellor at the ERC we have direct contact with the clients who in other shelter settings might not have had the same immediate access for supports and counselling. We would recommend that all ERC's in t he Lower Mainland adopt this model of care. We believe that we are helping this very vulnerable group to stay safe and supported during this dual health care crisis."